Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Cubieboard + Shairport + USB Audio


RPi Replacement

I've previously mentioned a way to use Raspberry Pi with Shairport for supporting AirTunes, and redirect the output to USB audio device. However, due to the BUGGY USB host driver of RPi, the USB packet loss problem (which causes clicks/pops) remains until today. Finally I lose my patience and start looking for a replacement, and found the replacement solution - Cubieboard.

Improvements

Here are the improvements after replacing RPi with Cubieboard:
  • No more clicks/pops
  • Rapid response to AirTunes
  • The same sound quality
So, if you lose patience for RPi like me, I'll suggest you to give Cubieboard a try.

5 comments:

  1. I am having a heck of a time getting usb audio working on cubie, did you use usb audio or onboard?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jimmy,

      I'm using USB Audio by redirecting Shairport output to USB.

      Delete
  2. Do you have a link to the image you used? I am having 1 heck of a time getting a perfect setup going

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm using this one (with micro-SD card):

      http://dl.cubieboard.org/software/ubuntu/cb-sdcard-1.1-linaro-quantal-alip-20130227-290.img.tgz

      Actually, it is listed on Cubieboard web site:

      http://cubieboard.org/download/

      Delete
  3. PRI的確有一些問題
    不知道Ytsejam是否有試過cubieboard安裝AudiophileLinux

    ReplyDelete